Title: An Evaluation of the National Zero Suicide Model Across Learning Healthcare Systems
Grant Number: 1U01MH114087
Grant Period: 08/03/2017 – 05/31/2022
Narrative: Health systems at six participating sites have all committed to developing and implementing various components of a National Zero Suicide Model (NZSM), originally developed at the lead site for this study, Henry Ford Health System (HFHS). Each health system will decide which components to implement at their respective site. This study will develop metrics to measure fidelity and outcomes for the NZSM components implemented in each system using EHR and insurance claims data. The project will then use these metrics to conduct fidelity and outcome evaluation of the various NZSM approaches in each system using an Interrupted Time Series Design.
Short-term project objectives:
We seek to accomplish three specific aims:
- Collaborate with health system leaders across sites to develop EHR metrics to measure specific quality improvement targets and care processes tailored to local NZSM implementation.
- Examine the fidelity of the specific NZSM care processes implemented in each system.
- Investigate suicide attempt and mortality outcomes within and across NZSM system models.
Long-term project objectives:
Learnings from this study will be immediately available on the Zero Suicide and MHRN websites, shared directly with SAMHSA and NIMH (thru the MHRN), and disseminated broadly to health systems via Zero Suicide Training Academies well before published data are available. As such, our goal is rapid dissemination and translation to practice, as opposed to the standard research-to-practice model – which the NIH and others estimate can take 17 years.
- Lead Site:
- Overall PI: HFHS Brian Ahmedani
- Participating Sites/Subcontractors:
- KPWA (site PI Greg Simon)
- KPCO (site PI Jennifer Boggs)
- KPNW (site PI Greg Clarke)
- Funder Contacts
- Science Officer: Susan Azrin
- Program Official: Michael Freed
- Grants Management Official: Julie Bergerud
- Awarded Budget (Total Cost)
- Year 1:
- Year 2:
Documents & Reports
- Notices of Award